March 17, 2009

Spring Skiing

We took the kids up skiing last Saturday and had a great day. We went with my Dad, a couple of my sisters, their husbands, their kids and my brother and his wife. We went up to Wolf Mountain (old Nordic Valley) where my brother-in-law is on the ski patrol. It is also where my Dad was on the ski patrol when I was little and where he taught me how to ski. It's a very small resort, but has a lot of great memories for me.

We took Brooklynn up a few months ago and she did ok, but didn't last that long since it was cold. I wanted to take her up at least one more time this year and was just waiting for the perfect day. I would say Saturday was definitely the perfect day. She ended up doing really well in the end. Here she is on the first ride up the lift...




Here's one of Kendall (my nephew) ready for a nap. He was super tired after a few hours.


After lunch Brooklynn couldn't wait to get all of her stuff back on to go play in the snow. The second one is of her making faces at everyone sitting at the tables.





We took a family picture so Braiden could take it for "show and tell" this week...


When we started skiing with Brooklynn I was holding her between my legs and she wasn't doing that well, so we used part of my nephew's harness and tied it around Brooklynn to try and keep her standing up on her skis. She didn't like it at first, but then she did ok. After lunch we took her back over to the "Magic Carpet". It is a conveyor belt that takes you back up to the top of a very small ski hill. Great for first timers. She did great and was skiing all by herself. I was skiing backwards and letting her come and get me. She was loving it.


Riding on the "Magic Carpet" back up to the top...


Braiden was enjoying skiing over the cones on the hill while we were working with Brooklynn. The cones are not that tall, and he didn't knock that one over, but he was jumping over some of them. He will sometimes jump randomly as he is skiing down the hill. I'm not sure why he does it, but it's pretty funny to watch.


After taking Brooklynn down the little hill a few times, we sent her back home with my sisters. We stayed a few more hours and I actually got in a few great runs with my dad.
Here's Braiden riding up the lift with my dad...


We ended up going a different way on this run. When we started heading towards this run there was a sign that said "More Difficult". Braiden seemed a little worried when he saw the sign and told me that he didn't think he could go that way. I told him he would be just fine. The first half wasn't any more difficult than anything he had done before, but the second half of the run had a pretty steep hill. I'm sure he was probably tired by this time but he seemed a little hesitant. I asked him if he wanted me to go down ahead of him and do a video of him. I thought maybe if I distracted him he might forget about the hill a little. He did great. He really doesn't have much fear on the slopes and is a great little skier.

5 comments:

Kayti said...

Yay for skiing! Thanks for coming again. Good job on the blog lately!

Alysia said...

That looks like so much fun and so adventurous with the kids.That would be so cute to see your little kids skiing.

Abby said...

Look at your cute sporty family! I heard you got to flirt with my little Bjorn recently--jealous!

Tris said...

love the family skiing pic! also love little pink and purple brooklyn! miss you. xo

Nicole said...

How fun... your family is so cute! Your pictures are AWESOME! I wish I had more of a talent for photog...

PS I have no idea how to email back other than making comments on your post... maybe you can figure it out!